Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Most Recent Reject: The Subtle Knife

I went to the library and checked out The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass by Philip Pullman. I had read the book The Golden Compass and then saw the movie. I thought it was a pretty good book. A little weird, but interesting.

I started reading The Subtle Knife and after about a chapter and a half I stopped reading. I had heard that the series was about killing God and overthrowing heaven, but that concept wasn't really in the first book and I wondered if people were just reading too far into it. They weren't.

Wow, Pullman is anti-Christian, well anti-God for that matter. I'm so glad I didn't waste my time actually reading them.

I'm so glad I have the gospel. It would be so sad to live in a world where I didn't believe in the salvation of Christ, or the infinite mercy of our Father in Heaven. It's ironic that in the books Pullman suggests that because of God we are not free, when in fact it is God who respects our free agency and has given us the opportunity to repent when we do make mistakes. We are liberated because of Christ.

My advice, don't read them. People like Pullman can write what they want and even get published, but that doesn't mean it isn't puerile drivel. The Narnia books are infinitely better. I would go as far to say the Twilight series is better, which is saying something.



No comments:

Post a Comment