Sunday, August 28, 2011

Most Recent Read: Through The Grinder

It's kind of funny I read this book when I have never even tried coffee. But, I do love the smell of coffee beans. I usually stop in the grocery store aisle and breathe in the smell for a second or two and then move on.

This book was a lot more edgy and macabre than the books I usually read. However, minus a couple pages in the book that I skimmed over (Ahem), I loved it. Even though this wasn't the first book in the series, I was able to get right into it and figure out what was going on. The book takes place in New York City, and I really like how Coyle describes the architecture and atmosphere.

My favorite parts were paragraphs like this one, which were so descriptive I felt like I was there, "Tonight, while I had the chance, I wanted to take my time and enjoy the radiant charm of streetlights glowing though gauzy lace... They say time slows for people in this part of the city. The pace is more leisurely, the objectives more mannered than midtown's lean, reaching towers of commercial sport. On a twilight evening like this, however, with a thick white blanket muting sounds of car traffic, ambulance sirens, and cell phones, time didn't just slow, it stopped altogether... My boots crunched with every step as I walked, breathing in air that smelled fresh and crisp, enjoying the intimate stillness of the streets, the hush of all things around me".

I also liked how the ending was unexpected, but realistic, which seems rare in romance mystery novels. Over all, I would suggest reading it, but be ready to skip over a few parts here and there.

No comments:

Post a Comment