Sunday, November 7, 2010

Crucibles


So I've been practicing typing as of lately. You can play "spacebar invaders" only so many times. So I thought I would write a note.
I titled this “Crucibles” because I have been thinking about crucibles lately. I use them at work to do loss on ignition tests. I think it is fascinating I can open the incinerator door when it is literally 800 degrees inside, and the side and bottom of the box will be glowing red hot, but the crucible inside remains untouched.
I remember in high school when we had to read "The Crucible” for English. I did not understand how symbolic this title was until I saw for myself what crucibles could withstand. Crucibles are supposed to remain unchanged even when subjected to extremely harsh conditions. Even though throughout the story it seems as if the characters do change, in the end we fundamentally see who the characters are. That is the crucible. We see what part of the individual remained after the intense fire and heat. Extremely difficult situations have a way of stripping back the layers of an individual’s personality until all that remains is what that person truly believes, what they are made of. What are you made of?
The trials we go though in this life are like incinerators. Each trial is not the same, and we all must pass though multiple fires. But it is important that we do pass though these difficult times. They show us who we fundamentally are. Anyone can steer a ship in a calm sea, but the true captain can battle the storm. Sometimes when you are going though an especially difficult time it is hard to see the reasons. But as we go though those fires we are cleansed and purified.
I have learned so much about myself in fires I have passed through. I know I will pass through many more, and while I do not look forward to difficult times, I am grateful for the opportunity they give me evaluate where I am. They help me see what need to do to get to where I want to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment