Monday, November 22, 2010

Most Recent Read: Anahita's Woven Riddle


http://www.spongobongo.com/Oriental_Rugs/Persian_Rugs/images/Kashan_Rugs_Kashan_Carpet_from_RugMan.jpg


I just finished a book called "Anahita's Woven Riddle" by Meghan Nuttall Sayres. It was about an Iranian carpet weaver. I loved how it conveyed so much of the Iranian/Persian Nomadic culture. It reminded me of when my my mother and I visited Israel and Egypt. It was an incredible experience. When we were in Jerusalem, I remember hearing the the adhān being called in the morning , signaling the time for prayer. It is interesting to see all of the different people who visit Jerusalem. It is fascinating to me that Christians, Jews, and Muslims all consider it a holy place. I noticed, even though these individuals live in a desert where nearly everywhere you look is covered in brown sand, they find ways to add color. For example, the multiple shades of blue found inside and outside of mosques. The golden top to the Dome of the Rock. And the vibrant colors in the rugs they weave.

No comments:

Post a Comment