Saturday, August 11, 2012

Most Recent Read: Egghead

http://www.strandbooks.com/resources/strand/images/products/partitioned/b/4/e/1934649171.1.zoom.jpg

I read Egghead by Karla Oceanak mainly becuase the dustcover reminded me of The Time Warp Trio series by Jon Scieszka.  I love the Time Warp Trio books, which are short and hilarious.  (I highly recommend them)  Egghead was a fast read, mainly because it is meant for a much younger demographic.  (if you are wondering why I read children's books, I have several reasons. One of the reasons being I want to find good books for my future children to read) While I liked the format of the book, an elementary school child's art book, complete with sketch drawings, personalized superhero cartoons and complex words followed by definitions, I felt Aldo Zelnick, the protagonist, was annoyingly self-absorbed.  It felt like an episode of Arthur on PBS Kids.  Quick, educational, and layered with undertones of tolerance and acceptance.  Apparently the author was smart and decided to write one book for every letter in the alphabet.  That is a guaranteed twenty-six books.  Smart move.  I however, won't be reading any more of them.  

http://www.booksofwonder.com/prodinfo.asp?number=TWT011

I will probably reread and buy all of these books.  Thank you Jon Scieszka. 

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjvWQD_pMpO7yzxQQJCpQTIL07T-im1lDbAtoylC8rrlTyZNWTqx-CCDk9NPQh7cNX9WQ47vkDgrjozvsK7WZHRtXL_8r3hTNwHgcsOAmMENYDIgD7-TxP38pLONkiDv0RYxI6A2clRgk18/s1600/gory1.jpg

Thanks to Egghead, I did rediscovered the art of Edward Gorey.  His art is very macabre, à la Tim Burton, Coraline and Emily the Strange.  Scary and cute.  But not Creepy Cute, I still need to read that book.

No comments:

Post a Comment