Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Most Recent Read: Percy Jackson Series


Matt got me the entire Percy Jackson series for Christmas. I enjoyed reading them, especially because of the humor. I love how seamlessly Riordan mixes our day and age with stories from Greek Mythology. I also like how he uses obscure characters from Greek Mythology, like the gods Hestia, Nemesis and Janus. One of the quotes I like the most is by Poseidon, in my favorite book of the series, The Battle of the Labyrinth: "Percy, lesser beings do many horrible things in the name of the gods. That does not mean we gods approve. The way our sons and daughters act in our names...well, it usually says more about them than it does about us." This quote makes me think about the various names we take on. Our father's surname, our husband's surname, and according to our religion, we represent the Deity we worship.


No comments:

Post a Comment